Liquid Waste Disposal


The Sanitation Districts accept septic tank, cesspool, trailer holding tank wastes, and portable toilet wastes at four liquid waste disposal stations located in Carson, Pomona, Santa Clarita (Saugus), and Lancaster. Hazardous wastes, industrial clarifier wastes, grease interceptor wastes, car wash clarifier wastes, and other related industrial wastes are not accepted. In addition, rainwater, flooding water, fire fighting water, groundwater, swimming pool water, and other non-sewage wastewater are generally not accepted for disposal. Please check with your local city to see if such water can be disposed to the storm drain system after settling. Sludge and effluent holding pond wastes from a wastewater treatment system are also not accepted. The Sanitation Districts may consider accepting such non-sewage wastewater and treatment system wastes for disposal when all other alternatives are exhausted. Prior approval to discharge is needed. To apply for a permit, please contact the project engineer for the Liquid Waste Disposal Program in the Industrial Waste Section at (562) 908-4288, extension 2900, or via email contact: Lorraine De La Torre or David Sonboli.

In order to utilize the disposal stations for septage and portable toilet wastes disposal, haulers must first obtain a permit from the Sanitation Districts titled "Permit for Wastewater Transport Truck to Discharge to the Sewerage System." A permit application form can be downloaded by clicking here or can also be obtained by calling the Sanitation Districts' Industrial Waste Section at (562) 908-4288, extension 2900A separate permit is needed for each vehicle. No permit fee is required at this time. A deposit of $25 is required for an electronic decal tag issued to the tanker truck or tank trailer. A fee is charged for treatment of the wastes and operation of the disposal stations. The fee is assessed based on the full capacity of the waste tank of the vehicle and the location where the waste is disposed. The fees are different at different station locations because of different costs for waste treatment. An account is set up for the company at the Sanitation Districts with the approved permit. The fee is debited from the company’s account when a waste load is disposed. The current fee rates for the different stations are listed as follow:



Fees as of 07/01/2018

Fees as of 07/01/2019

24420 South Figueroa Street
Hours: Monday - Saturday: 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Humane Way & West Mission Boulevard 
Hours: Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.



26200 Springbrook Avenue
Hours: Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.



1865 West Avenue D
Hours: Monday - Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.




Sample of a Completed Application

  1. A separate permit application is needed for each vehicle. A copy of the permit application can be downloaded by clicking here or may also be obtained by calling the Sanitation Districts' Industrial Waste Section at (562) 908-4288, extension 2900, by FAX at (562) 908-4224, or by email to Lorraine De La Torre or David Sonboli.  Permit application forms can also be picked up at the Sanitation Districts’ liquid waste disposal stations. No permit fee is required at this time. A $25.00 deposit is required for each electronic decal tag issued to a vehicle. A completed sample of the application form is available by clicking on the link above.

  2. Before applying for a Sanitation Districts' truck permit, you must first register your vehicle with the Department of Health Services of the County of Los Angeles. For information, please contact the Mountain and Rural/Water, Sewerage and Subdivision Control Section, 5050 Commerce Drive, Baldwin Park, CA 91706, (626) 430-5380, FAX (626) 813-3016. (If you transport only non-hazardous liquid wastes in your vehicle and no sewage, you may be exempt from this requirement. Confirm the exemption with the project engineer of the Liquid Waste Disposal Program of the Sanitation Districts). Send in a copy of your vehicle inspection report to show the 4-digit Los Angeles County Health Department registration number. Please also note that this registration number is the one given on your Certificate of Registration for Septic Tank, Cesspool, Sewage Seepage Pit and Chemical Toilet Cleaning Vehicle. It is not the number for the Public Health License from the county tax collector. Please also include registration numbers that the vehicle carries from the different health departments of surrounding counties.

  3. Provide information on the vehicle on which the tank is permanently mounted. The vehicle can be either a tanker truck or a tank trailer. The vehicle information should include the make, model, year, and the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) license number. Write in the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Please send in a copy of the DMV vehicle registration. If the license plate number is not yet available, enter the temporary registration number in the line above the license number, and FAX in the DMV registration when received. Give the gallon capacity of the waste tank. Supporting documentation to show the volume of the waste tank is required with the application. Supporting information may include a tank manufacturer's volume certificate, a County Division of Weights and Measures volume certification, a legible stencil transcription or photograph of the identification plate on the tank showing the volume capacity, a calculation sheet for the volume of the tank based on measurements, or a sales invoice for a new vehicle showing the volume of the tank purchased. For portable toilet cleaning vehicles, enter only the volume of the waste tank in the space provided for the tank volume. Write the volume of the water tank in the space next to it.
  4. The application must be signed by an authorized company officer: for a sole proprietorship, the owner; for a partnership, a general partner; and for a corporation, the president or secretary of the corporation. A facility manager may also sign if authorized. Improperly signed applications will be returned.
  5. Please be sure that the application is complete. Incomplete applications may be returned and could delay the processing of the permit. Frequently overlooked information includes the tax identification number, the County Department of Public Health vehicle registration number, and the yes and no boxes on whether hazardous waste is hauled in the vehicle. Please also indicate on the application in the space after the Types of Wastes Hauled if there is an industrial sewer connection and/or a waste holding tank on-site at the truck garage.

  6. The completed permit application form may be submitted by mail to: 

    Industrial Waste Section
    County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County
    P.O. Box 4998 
    Whittier, CA 90607-4998

    Or submitted in person to:  (an appointment is requested for submittal in person)

    County Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County
    Industrial Waste Section, Room 219
    1955 Workman Mill Road
    Whittier, CA  90601

    Or submitted via FAX (562) 908-4224.

    Submittal by mail, FAX, or email is preferred.  A copy of the form downloaded from the Sanitation Districts’ website is acceptable and preferred.

  7. Checklist of items to send in: Application, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health registration number, a copy of DMV vehicle registration for the VIN number, and the waste tank volume certification. If you have any questions, please call the project engineer of the Liquid Waste Disposal Program at the Industrial Waste Section at (562) 908-4288, extension 2900, or via email: Lorraine De La Torre or David Sonboli.